Sunday, January 20, 2013

News of EPIC porportions!!

Hello, you awesome people!

So, I have some very exciting news!

This is my hundredth post!!

But that's not the epic news. Amy and I decided to do a a Letter Game between our blogs. Actually... we decided a long time ago, but we're both self-conscious about putting our writing out there for people to see. And so, *cough* we've sort of been putting it off. 


Anyway, the gist of the game is that we will pick a character to 'become' and write letters to each other as that character. Cool, yeah? 

The way we're going to do it is, when Amy writes a letter, I will post it on my blog, and when I  write a letter, she will post it on hers, so that it seems like we actually receiving letters. (In actuality, we're just emailing. Hehehe.) And then the letters will be archived on the the letter game page on both blogs. 

The setting is a 1920-ish time frame... with a mix of Steampunkery (yes, I know Steampunk is technically Victorian era, but we're doing it in the 20s.) And a touch of magic. 

An alternate world. 

I'm excited. And really, really nervous. =)

Amy is Peggy Douglas and I am Joan MacTavish.

God bless and enjoy!
Cheers!
Treskie


From Miss Peggy Douglas
To: Miss Joan MacTavish
October the twentieth, 1924

Letter One



Dear Joan.

    I’m sure by now you've heard a great deal about my ‘disgraceful’ situation. It isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds…well, maybe it is, but it’s not all my fault. As your friend I think you deserve to know the best of me.

    Yes, I really did get thrown out of University. Well, the correct term is “Expelled” but it amounts to the same thing. I have been set up with the most tedious job at a coffee shop on Main Street. The good news is I get as much free coffee as I can hold. Anyway.

     I’m not sure when things started going so wrong. I did so well for the first two years of Uni, pulling ahead at my classes and thoroughly enjoying myself. It was this last year when my Powers began to get out of hand and I earned the wrath of Professor Whitt. The whole situation is miserably unfair! I worked and worked at my Craft and for those first years I had such high hopes of being graduated into an important job. Now I have an unpromising future as a barista! And my Powers-I can’t understand it. No matter what I do, I can’t get a charm or spell to do what it should. Something terrible usually happens…if not terrible than extremely inconvenient. Take that last, fateful week at Uni.- though if we could take it then forget it as fast as possible that might be best- when the ‘simple’ spell I was to work took that nasty turn and suddenly the piano started on fire. It’s not like I did a fire charm! I was supposed to water the plants in the music room using the cloud control spell and the next thing I knew; fire was curling rather magnificently around the baby-grand.

    Fire is so beautiful!

    I admit I did just stare at it for a minute or two, maybe three, before I called for assistance, but that’s hardly proof that I deliberately started it.

    The whole School Board was up in arms about it. The ‘investigation’ went on for almost a week. It turns out you never really know who your friends are until you’re being investigated. Not a single person there said a word in my defense. I was on my own. Apparently this last year over-rules all the progress and triumphs I had during the first two years.

    I personally think that the teachers just didn’t like me. I know for a fact that Professor Whitt has held a grudge against me ever since he lost all his hair. I didn’t realize that that bottle was his shampoo, but he never believed me. That, coupled with a few other things, made him far less than pleased with me. But those other things weren’t really my fault. After all, who knew that that TNT was so touchy? And I did have a ‘Do not enter’ sign outside my room when the perfume went wrong. If they had minded that sign, then the dorms would not have smelled like rotten eggs. I really was sorry about turning the water purple. It was devilishly inconvenient not being able to bath until the teachers got that spell sorted out. And those few unfortunates who happened to be in the shower when that all went down and were stained purple a full two weeks-well. I did try to make it up to them.

     Do you suppose that I might be one of those few people that actually need a wand? I brought this up with the Board, but they insist that if I never needed one before, I shouldn’t need one now. I wish I could find a way to get a wand and at least try my theory. If only they weren’t so heavily guarded by the Government.

     I must say, this has been a very trying few weeks for me. My mood, though not as low as depressed, is still rather melancholy. I am in a fix and I don’t know how to get myself out of it.

    On the brighter side, it is autumn and delightfully wet most days. Coats and scarves do much to lighten the load of life.
    And my flat is cozy- Extremely small and fifteen stories up- (There is no lift so I do keep fit. Fifteen flights of stairs are quite a lot.) but cozy. It has the nicest little fireplace and it’s been so long since I’ve been able to play with fire! The wallpaper is a rather overwhelming brown plaid, but I’ve moved in all my books—Dad bought me a set of bookshelves just to show that he wasn’t angry with me. He’s a dear.—and what with the bookshelves, some art and some lovely red drapery, I’ve created a wonderful atmosphere.
I was also allowed to take my desk from Uni. Apparently after I did that lock charm after my first year when Ronnie Morse kept trying to steal my work, it won’t open for anyone else and taking off the charm would cause the desk to collapse. I did that charm back in the day when my Powers where still well behaved.

    I hope you aren’t too disappointed in my, Joan. I am at a bit of a loss at this point and intend to take a few weeks to settle in to my new life a little before I try to sort out…well, my life! It is such a bother!

    You must write me back soon. I need all the cheering up I can get and I am dying of curiosity to know how yourplacement went. You have always been quite an overachiever and I know you probably took the hardest test. And Aced it, no doubt.

Take care of yourself, my dear. Though I really don’t have to worry too much about that, do I?

Your rather disappointed friend, 
Peggy


12 comments:

  1. Fun! Can't wait until you write a letter, "Joan"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Hilarious. A failed magician?! You've got to love it. I'm looking forward to this. ;)

    Happy 100th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I'm glad you're excited. :D Let us know what you think, yeah?

      thanks!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is excellent excellent excellent!!! I am greatly looking forward to the coming ones! You're both very imaginative - this is such a brilliant idea. I'm using too many exclamation-marks, but it's difficult to convey my excitement through text without them. And now I seem to have gone all old-fashioned, thanks to that letter. Hurrah! Well, toodlepip for now, but I await the coming "letters" most eagerly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, Rose! Thank you so much! :D It's nice to know that someone like you likes our work. lol... We'll probably be posting my letter on Wednesday-ish. Let me know what you think of it, yeah?

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I certainly will! Mad about this idea. (:

      And I certainly agree: I imagine relationships take a blooming-heck's worth of effort to make 'em last. But, if you're dedicated and it feels right, I'm told love is one of the best feelings - especially when it's requited!

      Delete
  4. Oh! I like it alot and cannot wait to read more! (I loved hearing of her mishaps even though I felt bad for her. They have endeared her to me already!)
    Well done!

    As for your thoughts on Christian Bale being able to play Howl in real life when he was younger, I agree!! I hadn't thought of it before but I can see it.
    Josh Hutcherson had a very cute voice when he was younger. he does a good Michael.

    Ryder-Adair is a character I am very fond of as well. I know little about him right now, but the more I learn the more I like. So it is nice to hear someone likes him already. *Grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That's a big compliment coming from you, Jack. Amy'll be awfully pleased.

      As of now, I'm rather sure Benedict Cumberbatch could also pull off a rather lovely Howl. And Tom Hiddleston would make an EXCELLENT Chrestomanci. (I don't know if you've read Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci Chronicles, but they're amazing also. :)

      Ryder-Adair is an extremely cool name. Names are important. Either I take liking's to character early on, or I don't like them right off, and if it's the latter, it generally takes me the whole book to decide if they're cool enough. I'm looking forward to earning money and reading about him when it's published. :D :D :D

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Marlen! I'm still nervous, because this isn't MY letter, this is Amy's. Mine will/ought to be up on Wednesday, I think. And I'm worried about it. :D

    I'll defo check out that link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I don't have time at the moment to read this post, but I just got slapped in the face by reality. In the Harry Potter books, there's a character, Barty Crouch Jr, who's played by David Tennant, who is in Doctor Who. So Mr. Crouch Jr. is actually....the Doctor. Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Seana. If you DO find time later, you can get to the letter on the Letter Game page on the right. :D


      And I KNOW!!!!!!!!! He was the guy with the twitchy tongue. lol... :)

      Delete

Oooh, hello! Are you going to leave me a comment? You must, I insist: your thoughts are appreciated!

I am the queen of replying to comments, so if you leave me one, I shall reply post haste. Plus! If you click on that little "Notify me" button, you'll have all follow up comments plopped right into your inbox. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, darling.